Couscous with candied lemon
- 200 g fine couscous
- 250 mL stock
- 75 g raisins
- 50-75 g shelled pistachios, toasted and roughly chopped
- handful of roughly chopped coriander
- splash of vinaigrette dressing
For the candied lemon
- 150 g caster sugar
- 1 small lemon, very thinly sliced and pips removed
Candy the lemon: mix sugar with 150 mL cold water in a heavy saucepan and bring to boil over medium heat. Add lemon slices. Reduce heat to barest simmer and cook for 40-60 mins until the slices are soft and syrupy.
Put couscous in large bowl and whisk with the hot stock. Cover tightly and leave for at least 30 minutes, whisking several times. Put raisins in small bowl, cover with warm water and leave to soak.
Remove lemon slices, when cool enough to handle chop into small pieces. Drain the raisins and chop roughly.
Fluff up the couscous, add about 1/3 of the chopped lemon with the raisins and pistachios, mix well. Can warm at this stage in a bowl over simmering water. Stir through coriander and add more lemon + seasoning if desired.
- 50g red kidney beans, soaked in cold water overnight
- 50g dried green adzuki beans, soaked in cold water for a few hours
- 30g Puy lentils
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion (yellow onion), finely chopped
- 2 red capsicums, finely chopped
- 2 hot red chillies, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g ripe tomatoes, peeled, deseeded and chopped (or 400g can of chopped tomatoes)
- 500mL tomato juice
- leaves of 1 bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Blanch (bring to boil over high heat from cold, then drain under cold water immediately) the kidney beans, then return to pain with cold water and bring to a 10 minute rapid boil to make them easier to digest. Half cover the pan, turn down heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.
Blanc adzuki beans and lentils separately, then bring both to the boil separately. Half cover and simmer until tender: 12-15 mins for the beans and 20-25 mins for the lentils. Drain and set aside.
Heat olive oil over medium heat and add onion, capsicum, chillies and garlic. Sprinkle in chilli powder and salt, cook for 5 mins to soften vegetables. Add tomatoes, beans, lentils and juice and stir to mix. Cover and simmer for 45-60 mins stirring occasionally.
Stir coriander into beans and season.